background

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Gestational diabetes


Last week I was officially diagnosed with gestational diabetes. This was a big shock to me since there is not a history of diabetes in my family and I have not gained an excessive amount of weight during this pregnancy. My OBGYN scheduled an appointment for me at the Diabetes Center yesterday. It was quite an extensive appointment. 3 hours later I had met with a dietician, nurse, PA and physician to educate me on managing gestational diabetes. I will be checking my blood sugars 4 times each day and checking urine each morning for keytones. The dietician outlined a specific carb diet for me and made a few edits in my current eating habits. They have me eating every 2-3 hours; focusing mainly on the number of carbs in each meal or snack. I definitely feel full all the time. One hour after each meal I have to check my blood sugar and make sure the result is less than 130. All blood sugars must be recorded and called into the diabetes center each week. If there are 3 high readings in a row they will be putting me on insulin. I definitely do NOT want that to happen so I'm going to do my best to follow this diet. They recommended a great website called www.calorieking.com You can pretty much put in any food or restaurant and it will pull up the nutrional information.
My next appointment at the diabetes center is in one month. Who knows, maybe if all my sugars are low they will back off a little on the testing.
Countdown to Brooke's arrival is 56 days. Once she is born the diet and testing can stop, hooray!!!
Thank you to everyone for your prayers and encouragement. I apprciate all the support.

3 comments:

  1. as a former "gestational diabetic" I must blame it on the McSpadden men. boo. just 56 days! woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I take my gest test next week and am a little worried about it. Hope everyhting turns out okay!! Sounds likes you are doing well-so close!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kim, sorry to hear about this, but I'm glad that you are so positive about it. In just a short time you will be holding your little girl and this will all be over. Keep us updated! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete